Despite cost of living crisis, British Muslims remain generous
National umbrella group the Muslim Charities Forum (MCF) has published their latest report ‘British Muslim Charitable Giving II: The Impact of the Cost-of-Living Crisis’ which casts spotlight on the impact of austerity measures on the UK Muslim Community.
The Muslim-led charity sector comprises over 450 organisations across the UK working for social good both domestically and internationally, comprising over £700 million in annual fundraising income. Much of this income comes from the generosity of the Muslim community who are known to donate over £1billion to international and domestic causes each year, despite comprising a small percentage of the UK population.
Following the launch of the British Muslim Charitable Giving Report 2021-2022, MCF has now released a second report, with research conducted by leading market research agency in the not-for-profit sector, NfP Research. The report dives into the impact of rising living costs through 2023 due to the Cost-of-Living crisis and how this has impacted donor’s attitudes and habits towards social action causes.
Key findings from the report include:
• The majority of those surveyed have been impacted by the Cost-of-Living crisis in the last six months, indicative of minority group experiences in the UK general population.
• Despite this, charitable giving remains a of high personal importance with predicted volumes of giving in 2024.
• The variety of donation methods, motivators and causes, including those most popular.
• Attitudes towards volunteering as alternative charitable act and how this has been affected by stretched economic circumstance.
• The most pressing social and economic concerns of UK Muslim, including Islamophobia and the state of the NHS.
Fadi Itani OBE, CEO of MCF “We are delighted to release our latest report, kindly supported by NfP Research. This report shows that although British Muslims and other minority groups remain one of the hardest-hit by rising living costs, their dedication to charitable causes remains firm. The insight from this report casts a spotlight on UK Muslims and how their giving has been impacted and will make useful reading to all those with an interest in the sector.
The full report is available for download at: www.muslimcharitiesforum.org.uk
FUND HONEST INDEPENDENT MUSLIM JOURNALISM
Donate today and help us tell the stories that matter. Together we can make a difference
The mainstream media has been justifying genocide in Gaza. Islamophobia and censorship are the norm. We're changing that. Our journalism has reached over 300M impressions on social media since October 7th. On TV, our rolling news coverage has featured key figures like Husam Zomlot, Avi Shlaim, Gideon Levy and Jeremy Corbyn.
We need your support to reveal the truth and ensure our voices are heard. Donate today.